Tuesday, April 8, 2008

time out in thailand

All of our ambitions have returned void since we last wrote. Instead of capitalizing on our bonus week by embarking on a last minute excursion to a new and exciting destination, we've been digging deep into the medicine bag to find the right formula to fix me. I got sick. Felt like the flu, but I also tend to think that I had emotionally ingested all the extremes of India and, upon leaving it all behind, my body sought to physically express and purge itself. The good news is that I wasn't throwing up, but a fever, fatigue, congestion, and shortness of breath were enough to be out of commission for four days. Other good news is that we've been able to maintain a home base with friends in Bangkok whose house and hearts have made for a comfortable recovery.

Monday was my first day of near normalcy, and yesterday we ventured deep into downtown to sneak a swim at one of the posh hotels by the river. Next on the agenda is our departure for Chiang Mai via overnight train tomorrow night. We'll visit with Wanida's extended family and experience the traditional Thai new year and the Songkran water festival; think country wide water fight, everyone's in.

Having been refreshed by the healing of body, mind, and soul, it's time to check back in to this magnificent adventure.

9 comments:

j and w maertz said...

glad you're healthy again joey!!! today marks day 50. can you believe we've already been on this journey for 50 days? wow. miss you all. thanks so much for your comments, thoughts and prayers. sending love, wanida

Anonymous said...

Been waiting for an update...though I did hear from Yuka...that someone wasn't feeling well and missed the chance to see you guys last weekend. Glad you are better Joe!

Enjoy the big water fight...don't be too surprised...they will hit whenever and whereever. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Isnt' awesome to have friend all over the world who are so generous and hospitable. God is so good with blessing us with an international family.

anjuli paschall said...

glad everything is back to normal :)
love you guys!

Angela said...

So good to hear that you are on the mend. I am enjoying soaking in your stories and adventures. Peace to you friends!

Katester said...

Hey you guys! I know you probably have your time in Thailand scheduled, but in case you had extra time . . . one of my best friends is in Chiang Mai working for an organization that works with college students in the area - they have a coffee shop, do dinner nights, teach English, etc. I know she always loves American visitors. If you're in need of a planned night or two, let me know!
KG

Wichit Maneevone said...

enjoy your overnight trian ride. Eat alot of magoes for me. Dad

Wichit Maneevone said...

Yuka from japan email me that she miss you in Tokyo and BBK. she went hear Vara praeching and want to see you but you still sick. Glad to know that you getting back to normal now. go to night market, vist doi Intanon. See Watcharee may be you can meet our niece (my mom's grand daughter-Khing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe and Wanida,
This is Denny Flanagan, husband of Lauren Flanagan (formerly Fitzgerald), friend of Karen White. Ya dig? Well, I wanted to tell you guys how much I enjoy checking out your blog. It's inspiring.

Whimsique said...

Glad you are feeling better in time for the massive water fight... Enjoy the Thai New year. I sure do miss you guys and am excited to read new adventure stories soon!